Home Home Home Home Home

6/12/12

Gift Wrapping Center

One of the things I loved about this house are the built ins in the hallway, but this particular cabinet had me a bit confused about its purpose because the top cabinet is tall and shallow with no shelves to hold anything and both cabinets have locks on them.  It turns out it's a gun cabinet and the bottom is intended to hold ammunition.

Even though I'm sure it makes the firearm loving soul who built it roll in his grave, I use it as a gift wrap center.
A while back I decided it could use some freshening and organization to make it more useful.  The interior of the top cabinet was lined in red felt, so I had to remove that before giving it a coat of fresh paint.  This took F-O-R-E-V-E-R because it had been glued directly to the wood and it has been there a really long time.  After much scraping, tugging, and applying a plethora of various adhesive removers, I finally got it off.

I used a curtain rod I had on hand to hang the gift wrap and bags from the clips on the rings which frees up the bottom of the cabinet and prevents the paper from getting wrinkled.  The buckets hold ribbons,stationary, and tissue paper.  A mason jar keeps gift wrap essentials like pens, markers, scissors, and tape handy, though it was missing when I took these pictures.  Does this happen in your house?  I have back-up with my huge tape dispenser)
I'm loving how neat and organized this space is and plan to reward myself for my hard work with a little shopping spree for more wrapping supplies....I admit I have a bit of a paper addiction, but at least I now have a cute place to store it!

Linking up with:  Savvy Southern Style DIY by Design, Shabby Creek Cottage,  The 36th Avenue, No Minimalist Here, House of Hepworths, Delightful Order, Homemakers Challenge

0 comments: